Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Food

The situation of cooking is stil interesting but getting better. I was reassured when I spoke with Sue Newton about the first meals I cooked and she agreed that it takes time to become comfortable. Mainly because there is no longer access to a grocery store...I can buy some fruits and veggies from the local market but no milk, safe meat, or items I am familiar with:).

My family will be pleased to know that the creamed tuna fish has been brought to Kenya:). It is a Ferrell family comfort meal and sure enough one can cook it in Africa. It did not taste the same as the food additives are different here, but I was pleased with it. For example, they sell Sprite but it does not taste like Sprite and the same for everything else.

I have to write a thank you letter to South Beach and Trek Bar Company as they have been our saving grace. The protein bars have supplemented or replaced many meals for the both of us.

For lunch we have peanut butter sandwiches and/or soap, which is nice. Dinner is where the fun begins!

For those who have sent me emails asking about my belly, I am doing better now than I was the first week. I probably have lost some weight, but nothing I can't gain back when I get home:). If I was to have a flare, I know I would be able to get decent tx here from one of the US doctors. Also, when we go to the orphanage they want me to call them asap if I get into any trouble and fortunately they are familiar with my ailments unlike the African docs who have no idea what Crohn's is....I heard that there is a study here in Kenya documenting four known cases among men in the 1960s. They were linking stress to flare-ups, but these men had multiple wives and the greater the number of wives the more frequent number of flares! So if I keep my stress low and stay away from multiple husbands according to the African study I should be a-okay:).

That is all of my thoughts on food for now.....hopefully, Jas will get to try some goat meat before he leaves:). Love to all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment